Monday, October 1, 2012

Oldie but Goodie: What's the Best Fondant??

I have a crazy schedule the next few weeks with classes, so I will have to pull a few posts back out from the archives. And The Great Fondant Comparison I did about a year ago is one of the posts that I am the most proud of. It took a lot of work, and I really enjoyed it.

Below is the shortened version:
To find out which brand of fondant, or which recipe, is best, I covered each of 5 cakes with fondant. I purchased three brands, Pettinice, Satin Ice and Wilton, and I made two myself, a homemade scratch fondant, and a homemade marshmallow fondant.

(All of the score sheets from my testers and complete details can be found on the complete Great Fondant Comparison post.)

Categories/Winners:
Ease of Preparation: Wilton 
Cost/ Availability: Homemade marshmallow fondant 
Ease of Kneading/ Rolling: Satin Ice
Ease/ Success on Cake: Tie between Homemade scratch and Satin Ice
Appearance: Satin Ice
Taste: Homemade scratch fondant
Texture: Homemade scratch fondant
Overall: Tie between homemade scratch fondant and Satin Ice

!! THE WINNER IS SATIN ICE!!

In the interest of full disclosure: NO ONE paid me anything or provided me with anything for this test. I am a Wilton cake decorating instructor, but they didn't give me anything either.

Click the Links Below to See:
Fondant Decorating Ideas
Recipes for fondant and more

Enter your email address below to receive the latest recipes, tips and ideas in your email inbox:


Delivered by FeedBurner

And don't forget, if you shop at Amazon.com through my link, you support this blog and its contents. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note that comments containing profanity or those that are spam will not be approved on this website.