Thursday, December 6, 2012

Easy Christmas Wreath Cake

A fun, easy Christmas cake for you today... a Holly Leaf Wreath Cake.
(Click here if you'd like to sign up to make this cake with me Sunday, Dec. 16 in Crystal.)

What You Need:
Any round cake, iced or covered with fondant
Green Fondant*
Red Fondant*
Holly Leaf Cutter(s)

*Note: I used my Homemade Marshmallow Fondant for this. If you want the leaves to hold their shape for a long period of time, you may want to add either 1 tsp. of Gum Tex or mix in an equal amount of Gum Paste.


To get you started, click these links to see my tutorials about:
How to Cover a Cake with Icing
How to Cover a Cake with Fondant
How to Color Fondant (and other Fondant Basics)

For my 8" round cake, I cut out about 20-25 of these larger holly leaves. I used a cookie cutter that came in a 3-cutter Christmas set I bought at JoAnn.
The smaller cutter came from a Wilton gum paste flower kit. I used the smaller one for the leaves around the base of the cake.

To give the leaves some shape, I lay the leaves on the underside of an empty egg carton. If you want them to get really solid in their shapes, leave them there overnight.

I will say that having them a little pliable made it easier for me to arrange them. However, because I didn't let them set completely, they got rather droopy after just a couple of hours.

I arranged the leaves around the top... and added a few red "berries."

Now for the funny part of this cake... so, I thought it would be so great to marble in some red and green. I STINK at marbelizing cake batter. I can do it with fondant, but for some reason, when it comes to batter, it's always bad.

Oh well. It's still cute from the outside... and will taste just fine!!

I will be teaching a class on how to cover a cake with fondant and decorate it like this one Sunday, December 16, 2012 in Crystal. Click here to register. (Register by Dec. 9.)


Click the Links Below to See:
Simple Christmas Tree Cake
Cake Decorating Basics 
Other Christmas/Winter Ideas

Enter your email address below to receive the latest recipes, tips and ideas in your email inbox:


Delivered by FeedBurner

And don't forget, if you shop at Amazon.com through my link, you support this blog and its contents. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note that comments containing profanity or those that are spam will not be approved on this website.