Wednesday, May 2, 2012

How To Get the Right Royal Icing Consistency... Consistently

Decorating cookies with Royal Icing is so easy that my 5-year-olds can do it. (and do... often.)

However, learning to get the right consistency is something that just takes time. If I had someone to color, bag and thin my royal icing all of the time, I think I'd make a lot more cookies.
Here's what works for me.

Start with full-strength Royal Icing. My recipe makes a thick consistency great for making decorations or outlines.

 Now, to make your flooding icing, you have to add water. But exactly how much water is where it gets a little unclear. I have found that using my recipe, I need between 3-5 teaspoons (NOT Tablespoons) of water per cup of icing to thin it down to the right flooding consistency.

So, I start with 3 tsp. and then add between 1/2 and 1/4 tsp. of water at a time until I can draw a line through the center of it with my spatula, and have that line disappear in a count between 12-15.

Here's what that looks like:

Royal Icing at zero- drawing a line with my spatula.

Immediately start counting... ONE...

...FIVE...

...TEN... (see how it is almost gone here?)

...FIFTEEN.
This is my right Royal Icing consistency.

You can then load it into a plastic baggie (or a decorating bottle if you so desire), and get to decorating.

*Keep in mind... If you add a lot of coloring to make a deep black, red, or even this yellow, you probably won't need as much water. And the less water you add, the quicker the icing will dry so that you can package or store your cookies.

Click the Links Below to See:
How to Color Icing
My Royal Icing Recipe
My Sugar Cookie Recipe

Enter your email address below to receive the latest recipes, tips and ideas in your email inbox:


Delivered by FeedBurner

And don't forget, if you shop at Amazon.com through my link, you support this blog and its contents. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note that comments containing profanity or those that are spam will not be approved on this website.