Monday, March 26, 2012

The Easiest Way to Frost a Cupcake

One question that I hear from a lot of people is "how can I frost a cupcake, and make it look nice and smooth?"
Any way but with a spatula or knife is my honest answer.

You'll notice that in any of my cupcake projects, I never ice the cupcakes with a spatula. It's just a real pain, never looks smooth, and is not pretty.

So, what is the easiest way to frost a cupcake??

With the icing swirl...

Or with a fondant cut-out.



Click the link to see my tutorial on the cupcake swirl. It's really, really simple once you get the hang of it. And if you do it on a couple dozen cupcakes... you'll get the hang of it!

To cover a cupcake with a fondant cut-out... get ready for easy!

What You Need: 
Cupcakes
Fondant (I used homemade marshmallow fondant for this demonstration)
Large, Round biscuit or cookie cutter
Optional:
To fill the cupcake, use a Bismarck tip

Roll the fondant to about 1/8" thick. That is about the thickness or a quarter or a nickel.

Using the largest biscuit cutter, cut out the round of fondant. The cutter may seem too big at first, but if your cupcakes have a dome on top (like most cupcakes made with cake mix will), you need it to be significantly bigger than the cupcake itself. I wish these were actually a teeny bit bigger.

Stick it on the un-iced cupcake.You do not need to have icing on the cupcakes like you do a cake. It will stick just fine unless your cupcakes are made of sawdust. I actually think it helps the fondant to almost "melt" into the cupcake and it doesn't taste as "fondant-y" when it's on a cupcake as it does on a cake. Plus, if you don't add the icing, then you don't have way too much sweet, which I hear a lot from people who don't understand why cake has both icing and fondant.

I've found that cupping the cupcake all around in my hand in a backwards C - like you see in the photo above - helps to get the edges better stuck to the sides, and makes it look less like something cut-out stuck on top.

Then I use my fingertips to smooth the lumps out. There will still be a few lumps unless your cupcakes are perfectly smooth when they bake.

The nice, smooth top makes a great canvas for all kinds of decorating.
Another benefit to using fondant to cover cupcakes is that it will get you comfortable with fondant. I hear a lot of students say that they're just "scared" to use fondant until they do. This is a really great, easy way to get your fondant feet wet.

Click the Links Below to See:
Beach Ball Cupcakes (using the same technique - mostly)
Other Fondant Decorating Ideas and Recipes
Other Cupcake Ideas and Recipes

Enter your email address below to receive the latest recipes, tips and ideas in your email inbox:


Delivered by FeedBurner

And don't forget, if you shop at Amazon.com through my link, you support this blog and its contents. Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this. I have only ever used fondant on my cupcakes once or twice and I automatically put buttercream under it...it didn't occur to me that it wasn't necessary.

    ReplyDelete

Please note that comments containing profanity or those that are spam will not be approved on this website.