Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Easy Spring Blossom Cupcakes


It's spring. Even here in Minnesota, the flowers are already blooming... both outside, and on cupcakes!

What You Need:
Cupcakes
Fondant (I used homemade marshmallow fondant)
Icing coloring (or buy colored fondant)
Small Roseor Flower Cutters
Sugar Pearl Sprinkles
Rolling Pin
Parchment Paper
Extra powdered sugar to "dust" the parchment paper or rolling mat
Food-safe paintbrush with water

*Note: Click the links on the cutters or sprinkles to go to my Amazon.com link where you can purchase them or just see what I used since I skimped on the photos.



You could cover your cupcakes with icing, if you like, but to get a really smooth top, I like to use a fondant circle. (Click the link to see the whole fondant cupcake tutorial.)

Color the fondant, using about a golf-ball size for each color. (Click the link to see my tutorial on coloring fondant.)

To cut out the flowers, dust the parchment paper with powdered sugar (just like you'd use flour for cut-out cookies). Roll the fondant to about 1/8" thick, which is about the thickness of a quarter or a nickel. I found that a little thicker made the sugar pearl "centers" stick better in the fondant.

Cut the flowers out using a small flower cutter. I used two sizes of very commonly found cutters. This pink one is from the Wilton Rose Cutter Set. And the metal one above is from Wilton Flower Cut Outs. You can probably find both (or something similar) at your local craft store for less than $5.

The leaves were cut using the smallest of Wilton's Leaf Cutters.
To get the Sugar Pearl Sprinkle centers, I found that the easiest way to get them to stick was to place one sugar pearl in the palm of my hand, and then press the flower cut-out onto it. Press gently, or you will deform your flower.

To arrange them on the cupcakes, brush the backs of the leaves or flowers with a tiny bit of water. If you use icing instead of a fondant circle to cover the cupcake, you won't need the water. Then, you would just press it gently into the icing.

To make the stems or vines, roll about a pea-sized piece of green fondant into a rope, like you would with play dough.

I think this one is my favorite, even though it was kind of the 'leftovers' one. My five-year-old kept saying, "yeah, I think you need to add more flowers." I'm sure that had nothing to do with the fact that he loves to eat fondant flowers!

Happy (early) Spring!

Click the Links Below to See
Cupcake Decorating Ideas
Fondant Decorating Ideas
Recipes for cupcakes, fondant and more

Enter your email address below to receive the latest recipes, tips and ideas in your email inbox:


Delivered by FeedBurner

And don't forget, if you shop at Amazon.com through my link, you support this blog and its contents. Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my fav cupcakes, ive added to my blog i hope you dont mind :)

    ReplyDelete

Please note that comments containing profanity or those that are spam will not be approved on this website.