Friday, March 16, 2012

Easy Rainbow Pudding Pie for St. Patrick's Day

Seriously, start to finish, it took me less than an hour to do all three of these! (Well, except for baking the crusts.)

What You Need:
Pie Crust (These are mini-pies, but you could totally do full-sized.)
Instant Pudding (Prepared as pie filling - mixed with 1 3/4 cups of cold milk)
Whipped Cream (or Cool Whip)
Wilton Nonpareils 6 Mix Sprinkle Assortment (or other sprinkles divided by color)
Parchment paper for template
Optional (for "pot of gold"):
1 Thin Mint Girl Scout Cookie (or other round, dark cookie)
Yellow or gold sanding sugar or sprinkles



Fill an already-baked pie crust with prepared pudding. Let set for about 5 minutes in the refrigerator. Spread whipped cream over the top of the pudding. (Mine looks a little yellow because I was using leftovers from my Pi(e) Day pie, and it was yellow.)

Make a template out of parchment paper.
I traced the outline of the top of the pie plate, which was a little too big. If you do that, leave a good 1/4"-1/2" around the outside to allow for the crust and pan.
Then, cut along the lines from one side so that you can peel back each color section.

Place the template onto the pie.
As you can see, I didn't leave enough space, so I had to get rid of my Red stripe, but I just moved each color in a line. It all worked out.

Peel back one section and apply sprinkles. I recommend shaking the sprinkles out of the container, and into small cups because they fly everywhere when you shake that container!

*Note: You want to re-cover each section with its parchment paper as you apply the next color of sprinkles. If not, there will be way too much sprinkle spillage.

This was my messy rainbow before I cleaned it up a little.
*To capture the rogue sprinkles, gently dip your fingertip into the whipped cream at the bottom, and use that as a magnet to grab the runaways. Some mixing will remain, unless you want to spend a lot of time cleaning it up.

To add the "pot of gold," dip the top 1/3 of a chocolate cookie in the extra whipped cream, then sprinkle gold or yellow sprinkles over the top. Arrange it at the end of the rainbow.

I had these crusts leftover from Pi(e) day, so I also made two without templates.

This one, I used colored sugars instead of nonpariels. The problem with not using the template, as you can see, is that my sections are all different widths. And I had a major green spill that was a pain to clean up. But, I think it's still pretty cute!

And for this one, I used a Tip 1M with the whipped cream to make a swirl (like a cupcake swirl). I added nonpariels in rings to make the rainbow swirl. Again, no template, and they're just not evenly spaced enough for me.

It's a really easy, really fast way to make a colorful treat for St. Patrick's Day or any other day!

Click the Links Below to See:
Pot of Gold Cake Pops
Beach Ball Cake (using the same decorating technique)
French Silk Pie Recipe (includes crust and whipped cream recipes)

Enter your email address below to receive the latest recipes, tips and ideas in your email inbox:


Delivered by FeedBurner

If you shop at Amazon.com through my link, you support this blog and its contents. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note that comments containing profanity or those that are spam will not be approved on this website.