Monday, May 14, 2012

Strawberry-Rhubarb Sauce

I love, love this sauce on top of homemade vanilla ice cream. The best part about it is how easy it is to make. It only takes about 15-20 minutes start to finish!

What You Need:
4 cups rhubarb, chopped into 1" chunks
2 cups strawberries, quartered
1 cup sugar
4 Tbsp. corn starch
1 Tbsp. vanilla (optional)



Clean and chop the fruit.

Combine the sugar and corn starch in a medium-sized saucepan.

Add all of the strawberries and one-half of the rhubarb.

Stir to coat the fruit. (Add vanilla, if you wish.)

Place over medium heat. Stir often. Once the fruit has gotten juicy, about 5 minutes in, add the remaining rhubarb.
I like to add the rhubarb in two steps because sometimes the rhubarb cooks down into nothing. When that happens, I don't like the texture as much, and I miss the real chunks of rhubarb. I've found by adding half of the rhubarb halfway through, I get some remaining rhubarb in tact.

Stir constantly over medium heat for about another 5 minutes until the sauce gets thick, not runny.
(psst... don't tell anyone, but I did have to add a few drops of red food coloring to make the color look better. I don't have to do this in the summer when I can get the awesome pick-my-own strawberries!)

Remove from heat. Allow to cool a little before you either place it into a jar...

or spoon it over vanilla ice cream.

Other Ideas:
Spoon it over a scone or biscuit for a yummy breakfast treat.
Spoon it over cheesecake for a yummy topping.

Click the Links Below to See:
Rhubarb 101: Everything You Need to Know about Rhubarb
Strawberry-Rhubarb Bars
Rhubarb Crisp

Enter your email address below to receive the latest recipes, tips and ideas in your email inbox:


Delivered by FeedBurner

And don't forget, if you shop at Amazon.com through my link, you support this blog and its contents. Thank you!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the rhubarb strawberry sauce recipe ratios. I have done it hit and miss for years!

    ReplyDelete

Please note that comments containing profanity or those that are spam will not be approved on this website.