Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Tip for Tuesday - Vinegar

I know it's been a while since I've offered a "Tip for Tuesday." Sorry about that.

This one, it's kind of like my Ode to Parchment Paper... it's all of the reasons why you should keep some white vinegar around... and actually use it.

I used to only use vinegar for cleaning. But then I started using it to make my own "soured milk," instead of keeping buttermilk or buttermilk powder around.

Using soured milk makes most of my cakes and cupcakes more fluffy, I think, so you'll find buttermilk as an ingredient for most of those, but you can always substitute soured milk: 1 cup milk + 1 Tbsp. white vinegar.


My grandmother's Flaky Pie Crust Recipe calls for vinegar, and I think I left it out the first few times I made it because I was sure it would make the crust taste awful, but when I did add it, I saw how much it really did make the crust flakier.

So then, when I was working on a Vanilla Sugar Cookie Recipe that would be more flaky than dense like a lot of the sugar cookies I'd tried, I gave adding a little vinegar to the dough a try. And it works! The cookies get great, flaky layers... if you don't overwork the dough.

And, of course, I also use vinegar for its cleaning properties. I use a paper towel dampened with it to de-grease all of my utensils and bowls before making any of my Swiss Meringue Buttercream or Royal Icing recipes.

So, there you have it... vinegar. Use it!

Enter your email address below to receive the latest recipes, tips and ideas in your email inbox:


Delivered by FeedBurner

And don't forget, if you shop at Amazon.com through my link, you support this blog and its contents. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note that comments containing profanity or those that are spam will not be approved on this website.